Wednesday, October 14, 2009

To Market To Market.... and Other Musings

Hello Everyone,

For those of you who are regular readers of my blog most likely know that I went to Quilt Market last week and return home on Monday. I actually walked into my home at midnight. So technically I returned home on Tuesday.

So the next few posts are going to be chronicling my market adventures. Hopefully, they won't bore you to tears, but will entertain.

My friend Pam and I set off on our yearly market adventure at the hour of 5:00 am. We left my house to head to the airport to catch a flight with Southwest Airlines. The flight was pretty uneventful, but I thought the snack was quite amusing.


Don't you think so too???

The flight got us into Houston at about 11:00 am local time. We had plenty of time until registration at 3:00 so we decided to have lunch and then take a taxi to Quakertown Quilts. Well, it really was a beautiful shop and if you are ever in Houston you should go. But DON'T take a taxi! It will cost you an arm and a leg. Let's just say, we didn't have much cash to spend at the shop after the ride. It was a little bit farther than we thought from downtown.

After our return, we registered and then met up with our friends Laura and Michelle. They are from my favorite quilt shop here in CT, Quilting By the Yard. If you are ever in CT, please visit them and tell them Jackie sent you. I promise it won't disappoint.

We decided to try a restaurant that came highly recommended by the infamous PKM (Pam Kitty Morning), Guadalajara Mexican. Boy was she dead on, it was fantastic. Thank you Pam!!! Probably some of the best Mexican I have ever had. We went to the one right downtown.

After that taxi ride, I thought I could use a drink. Now for those of you who know me, I am not a drinker at all. But boy, those frozen margaritas were calling my name. Mmmm... Mmmmm... Good!


Then onto the yummy food. This was my dish. A grilled chicken breast with a yummy raspberry sauce. Some wonderful veggies and a to die for sweet potato and poblano pepper side dish.


This was Pam's dish. Not sure, but I think it was some kind of enchilada.


Laura had this dish. It looked so yummy with the crab meat on the top too.


Michelle had this dish. I think it was called the Three Amigos. One was steak, one chicken, and one fish.


And of course, you cannot go to a Mexican restaurant without some yummy chips and salsa. Some of the best I have ever had.


Sorry for the quality of these photos, they were taken with my iPhone. I left the camera back in the room.

Anyway, stay tuned for the next post. That post will feature our first day at market, Friday, October 9.

In the meantime, don't forget to check my gallery and Etsy shop for fun stuff.

Until Next Time,


Share/Bookmark

26 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Jackie thanks for sharing! looks like you had a wonderful first day in Houston - cookies are cute! I wonder who's idea that was? I'm surprised they didn't charge you a dollar or two for the package :)
looking forward to seeing all from Houston.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Cathi said...

Oh, that all sounds like such fun! The cookies made me laugh!!
I can't wait for your next post. To me Houston sounds like a quilter's paradise!

Audrie said...

Those cookies are too funny!! And Quilting By The Yard is my LQS! So awesome that you mentioned them :) Sounds like you guys had a great time... the food looks amazing! Can't wait to hear of your Quilt Market adventures.

Carla said...

Goodness all that food (that I can't have) looks so good!

Purple and Paisley said...

what funny cookies! glad you had a good time and made it home safe...can't wait to see quilt market through your experience...thanks for sharing!

Karen said...

How many margaritas did you have before that picture was taken? You look pretty happy!

jacquie said...

i can tell already that you had a goooood time! i worked in houston schools for years and i can tell you i spent more on taxis than i earned. that is one BIG spread out city! can't wait to hear more of your adventures!!

Dana said...

Can't wait to hear your first hand account of market!

Vickie E said...

i hope you you have pictures of us! I don't. My brain is still whirling from all the people I met. BIG eye opening experience...and I'll have to call you to discuss ALL that happened..

henny said...

hmm...very interesting and fun 'appetizer" pics for this adventure. can't wait to see more pics on quilt :)

Sherri said...

Market posts are never boring...can't wait to see the rest! And that Mexican food looks yummy...think I need an enchilada now!

Thimbleanna said...

Oooh yum! It looks like you had some fabulous food!

wishes, true and kind said...

Hearing about Houston will never be boring to me! It sounds like you had fun, and I'm looking forward to hearing more!

Joan

Anonymous said...

Now I am hungry :o) Can't wait to hear about your time at Market!

Janet said...

It started well, apart from the taxi. The food and the company sound great, I'll look forward to hearing more.

Jeannette said...

I'm really starting to see how this quilting community works...sewing right through dinner time at home is probably the norm...but then away from your machine and being the quilt show isn't open for a few hours you actually eat and...gasp you are having too much fun with that funny drink with a straw.
I've been enjoying your blog for a while now, so this should be fun to see what took you to Texas...but really, shouldn't you ladies get out more often?

Abby and Stephanie said...

What it is about quilters and food? I think the two go hand in hand. Oh how I LOVE Mexican food and you just can't get delicious Mexican food in Ohio. You have my mouth watering and it's breakfast!

Avon said...

Jackie - Glad you're home safe & sound & had a great trip. Seeing all that food is making me hungry and it's only 10:45! Looking forward to your next post - & thanks for the Beachy Bovines pattern!!
Justine

Jona Giammalva said...

Mexican food??!! You found Mexican food? I was craving it the whole time I was there (being from Arizona I need to eat it at least twice a week or I go into withdrawal). It looks delicious and I will have to go there next year. Yum!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Those cookies are so funny and I cannot for part two!!

alobsiger said...

I'm SO glad you have your posting priorities straight because it is all about the food. And now I am starving after looking at your pix of good Mexican food. Mmm....

Kathy - Pink Chalk Studio said...

Glad you had fun at market too Jackie, my mom and I stumbled upon Guadalajara Thursday night and loved it so much we went back again on Sunday!

Hi! My name is erica. Would you be my friend? said...

The cookies are too cute! So are you trying to make me hungry? :)

em's scrapbag said...

Other than the taxi ride sounds like a fun start to your market trip.

Nedra said...

I have been hearing comments this week about others who went to Quakertown. Maybe next time I come to Houston I'll have to add that in.

Samantha said...

We went to Guadalahara's for lunch on Friday, and then returned for dinner on Saturday. DELICIOUS! Can't wait to go back next year!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...