Thursday, November 11, 2010

Whirlygig Tutorial... Part 2

Hello Everyone,

Welcome to Part 2 of the Whirlygig Tutorial. Sources for the tools used will be at the end of the post. This part is all about paper piecing, one of my favorite ways to quilt! This is mostly because of it's accuracy and precision. So, let's begin...


First you must have your arcs all printed and trimmed to about 1/4" from the edges. Each whirlygig circle requires 4 arcs. Also have ready either a piece of template plastic or postcard, (something rigid) and a glue stick. Locate #1 on the paper foundation, then flip the foundation over...


...and swipe the #1 spot with the glue stick. This will keep the first piece of fabric in place.


Attach the first piece of fabric, right side up, to where you applied the glue. It is important to make sure the fabric covers the entire #1 area and the seam allowances. You can check this by turning it over and holding it up to the light.


You can see it better here in this photo. Now take your piece of template plastic and place it on the solid line. Hold template plastic in place and fold back the paper foundation.


This is what it will look like folded back.


Then take your add a quarter ruler and butt the lip of the ruler against the rigid plastic. You will see excess fabric extended beyond the ruler.


Take your rotary cutter and trim away the excess. This will leave an exact quarter inch of fabric left to sew the seam allowance.


Now flip the foundation back over so the fabric is facing up, add your next piece of fabric, matching the cut edge of the #1 piece with the edge of the next piece as pictured above. Fabrics are right sides together. It is critical that you make sure the #2 piece of fabric will cover the #2 area on the foundation prior to sewing.


Now time to sew. You will need to decrease your stitch length on your machine to about 1.5. This will allow for you to pull the paper away without pulling the stitches out. Stitch on the solid black line.


Turn the foundation over and press the #2 piece back for a very crisp seam. Then you will repeat the "flipping and sewing" technique as you just did until you have filled up the foundation sheet.


You can see what it is starting to look like.


Here is the whole arc completely sewn before trimming down. Now turn it over to see the line on which you should trim the excess fabric away. If you are confident, you may trim with a rotary cutter. If not, carefully trim with a scissors.


This is what you will have once trimmed. A beautiful spikey arc!


Continue to repeat the process making 3 more arcs to fit around the whirlygig circle.

The third installment will show you how to attach the arcs. This most likely will come next week. I am currently on a quilting retreat taking the remainder of the photos!

Tools and sources:

For this project, I used Fons and Porter Glue Marker. However, if you don't have this you can use UHU glue stick as it is washable. Be sure to check your glue stick to assure it is NOT permanent.

Add A Quarter ruler can be found here.

Quilts With A Spin by Becky Goldsmith and Linda Jenkins for the paper foundation arcs.

I hope you are enjoying this so far!!

Until Next Time...

Share/Bookmark

16 comments:

irishgirlsews said...

Jackie,...thanks so much for posting, you take great pics too. I have been saving my box of brights just for a project like this, need to put away the Civil War fabs for a time & do something wild....love the fabs that you are working with....great technique too!
Thanks
Wendy

Mary said...

I enjoy paper piecing as well, although, it can be a bit tedious. I have never used the straight edge of plastic to fold back the fabric (before placing the acrylic ruler on top) What a great idea! I have this book but have not tried this pattern yet. I will have to give it a go!

Caro said...

Jackie,
Great tutorial and love your fabric choices. Thanks for sharing info about the tools you're using as well. Will look forward to the next tutorial.

Nan S. said...

Jackie, thanks for the tutorial. What kind of camera do you use? Your pictures are always so clear. I think I need to upgrade my camera. (Of course, it could have something to do with the skills of the photographer!) I use the same method for paper piecing, but instead of the template plastic I use the straight edge of the Dritz Ezy-Hem ruler. The thin metal is easy to work with - and it never wears out!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Hope you are having fun! Great tutorial. Now I know what to do with that 1/4 ruler I have!! This is now in my must do pile!

Debby, crowefan0517 said...

I have always loved paper piecing. How can anyone agrue with perfect points & very little effort? :)

Linda said...

Thanks for the awesome tutorial! Great pics!

WoolenSails said...

I have never done paper piecing, your instructions are really nice and easy to understand.

Debbie

Quiltbenaco said...

Grazie per il bel tutorial...me lo salvo!
Ciao Domenica

Micki said...

I love paper piecing, and your tutorial was very good.
Micki

Vicki said...

Love your colors & the directions are great!
Vicki

Munaiba said...

Jackie that was a really great tutorial and I love your fabric choices. You and I have similar tastes.

Coffeebean's Dailies said...

Jackie, I am so excited about this! I wonder if it could be made from scraps?? I have so many 'sets' of fabrics that are waiting for me to sew! I don't know ANYTHING about this book so I will go check it out! This looks so nice. You are an excellent tutorial girl!! yay!

lisa said...

in about 15 years, when I Am more convident about my sewing will you remind me of this project? I'd love to make it but am in no way ready for it. Maybe I'll get some of the main supplies for myself and store in a tub labled "when you are ready...."

Nanette Merrill said...

This makes me think I could actually do this!

Fleurette said...

Jackie, I'm really enjoying your whirlygig tutorials, they're great, thanks so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...