Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Quilting in NYC, Part 2... The Sweets

Hello Everyone,

So here is the story... I have two types of radar, one is for fabric, the other is for sweets. As Karen and I were walking to Victoria's home in NYC, my sweets radar went off BIG time.

I spied this little shop that was not really in plain site. But I saw the window sign saying Crumbs Bake Shop. So, naturally, I veered off course and told Karen we had to go in. All I can say is WOW!! What a treat. Thelma, this post is for you and it is a definite thumbs up! Here is the virtual calorie tour.



One of the yummy displays of their sweet confections. Beautiful and mouth watering.


Victoria's Daughter received one of these lovely cupcakes with the purple flower on top.


Another yummy display.


So this is the biggest cupcake they make, the Colossal. And Colossal in every way, price, size and calorie count!


This photo I took for size comparison to their medium cupcake. Big isn't it?


Cupcakes weren't the only thing on the menu, they had brownies my personal favorite. So I had to have one. I debated a little bit between the fudge brownie on the right or the cookies and cream brownie right next to it. Guess which one I picked?? Yep, the cookies and cream. And with all the walking I did that day, I did not feel one iota of guilt, not one!!


This one we picked up to bring to Victoria. Turn your head away Victoria, don't look at the calorie count. I have to say, having that calorie count front and center is a real killjoy. I think that all eating establishments in NYC are required to have them upfront and personal. Dampens the mood a little.


Took one of these babies home for the teenage son.


These were just too pretty not to take a photo.


Here is the personal four pack my family ended up with... from top left is the Squiggle (that was mine and oh so divine!!) cream filling inside. Next to that was an apple cinnamon for the hubs. It was filled with real apple filling, just like an apple pie. Next was the cookie dough for teenage daughter.... all gone. And the cookies and cream also finished!!

A piece of advice if you want these, definitely cut them in half or quarters so you can enjoy them slowly with a nice cup of tea or coffee. And don't worry about what your thighs might look like afterwards, just enjoy!

By the way, they deliver! Just click here to go to their website.

Stay tuned for Part 3, NYC the ending. In the meantime, be sure to browse my shop, lots of new items arriving daily.

Until Next Time...


Share/Bookmark

33 comments:

Caron at Michigan Quilts said...

I just gained ten pounds reading your blog. My teeth hurt! Oh, yummy!!!

Jackie's Stitches said...

I can see where the calorie count would be a killjoy. I wonder if it's made a difference in their sales. All I can say is that it all looks delicious!

Becky said...

You're my kind of gal, fabrics and sweets. My personal favorites next to brownies are chocolate chip cookies. Wish more places were required to put the calorie count on their foods. It might slow me down:)

The Calico Cat said...

Frosted black & white - did you really have to show me that?

Rumi said...

Oh My! The very best kind of sensory overload! YUM!

deborah said...

Yum! The sweet shop is just beautiful with all the colors! So glad you had a good time!

Teresa said...

Oh my goodness - they all look so goooooood!

I enjoyed the prior post and am so interested in the Chrysler Building. Do you think that is where the NY Beauty block originated? I always thought it was the Statue of Liberty crown. This is one of my fav blocks and I guess I would love to know the true origin behind it. I did do some research once a few years back, but did not find even a reference to the Chrysler bldg.

Enjoyed the tour of your studio too - great use of cabinetry!

alobsiger said...

YUM! I'm glad I had some breakfast before I read your post -- I might have been hunting down some dessert for breakfast instead! Looks like a wonderful trip!

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

I need to go to the dentist after seeing all that, AND eating the bunch you brought us! I have to say, their frosting! (no one eats frosting in this house) BUT, we ATE this frosting! it tastes just like the cupcakes... so good.

thanks Jackie!!!

Sara said...

YUM and that's right don't feel guilty about those extra pounds girl!! You gotta enjoy life:)

Tina Craig said...

Yum! We'll be in Boston today for the Rush concert, so you know we'll be visiting an Italian pastry shop in the North End!

Anya said...

Thanks a lot, Jackie..I gained weight just reading your post! LOL!

Mystica said...

Just drooled and drooled over the lot!

Thimbleanna said...

Wow -- they all look fantastic -- I can't imagine how you made a choice. And that calorie count thing is a BIG bummer!!!

Abby and Stephanie said...

I think I just went into sugar shock! My theory is eat in even numbers to keep the thighs even.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

After looking at all of the pictures I'm on a sugar high - and I haven't even had breakfast yet! I can just imagine the smells - mmmmmmmm.

WoolenSails said...

It is a good thing I can't eat those, lol.
We used to have a good bakery and I loved stopping there on the way to visit my grandmother. I guess it is good I am allergic to them now, I am no self control;)

Debbie

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I must say seeing the calorie count next to the price is kind of strange, I have never seen that before. I know we should be aware of what we are eating but it makes it so you think twice about buying one!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Nedra said...

Ok, that is just not fair that they put the calorie count right next to the bakery item. They look so wonderful that it must not scare people away too much.
Fun post.

Lisa D. said...

Those cupcakes look incredible. But it's just WRONG to post the calorie count right next to them!

Kim D. said...

Those looks so sinful, but oh so yummy!! I could see where those calorie signs could put a damper on things.

Em said...

I want to come and play with you gals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Hannele said...

At moments like now reading your blog it's hard to stick to the low carb diet I've been carrying lately - but I'm strong and can still resist temptation ;)

Thelma said...

Is this store calling my name or what!!! I don't see anything that I don't want to try. What restraint, one brownie and 4 cupcakes. Do they taste as yummy as they look?

I'm so happy you indulged while you had the opportunity!!

Cardygirl said...

Yum! Thanks for those amazing cupcakes!

Retrogirl said...

Talk about eye candy, Jackie!!

Cathi said...

Oh, my!!! What a great bake shop -- and how fabulous that they post the calorie count of their items!!

Cathi said...

Oh, my!!! What a great bake shop -- and how fabulous that they post the calorie count of their items!!

Terriaw said...

This place looked fantastic... until I noticed the calorie count on the labels! You're right, kind of a killjoy to see that. Makes me not want one, but yet, I still want one! Sounds like you had a fun fun day in the city!

Jonathan said...

Oh yummmm. Why oh why did you have to give us the link, LOL? ;-) Looks like you had a great time.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Those sweets looks delicious...though I gotta wonder how that works for them, advertising the calorie count. If it were me I'd be heading out the door!... though I'm sure there are some ladies that save up their "points" just to spend thme in there :o)

dutch sisters said...

What a yummie post!! I won't tell Heleen about all this sweetness, she immediately would take the plane (lol).
Groetjes, Corry

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

What a sweet post!!! Oh my goodness how could you not walk out of there with something in your hand! xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...