Friday, March 9, 2012

Quilting

Hello Everyone,

As many of you know, I am a long arm quilter.  I have been in business since 2000.  Since I am still away, I thought I might just share with you some quilting the I have done on a recent customer quilt.

Quilting can do many things for a quilt, enhance it, be the stand out on the quilt (decorative), or just be utilitarian (keep the quilt together and simple).

You can make it dense, loose, modern, traditional, really the sky is the limit!


On this quilt it was decorative, yet modern.


Dense, yet traditional with a modern twist.  So many options and it really depends on the quilt and your vision for the quilt.  In addition to those factors you should always consider thread choices too.  Do you want the quilting to be seen or recede back into the quilt?  

Your long arm quilter will be able to answer whatever questions that you might have.  But definitely communicate what your vision for your quilt is for the long arm quilter.  This way there is no misunderstanding.

How do you like your quilts quilted?


Until Next Time...

Share/Bookmark

12 comments:

antique quilter said...

Jackie I so agree with you communication with your long armer quilter is the best thing you can do.
Its amazing what can be done on a long arm machine and taking the time to learn what she /he can do is time well invested. A good post...people really need to form a relationship with their long armers so you both understand each other....
Kathie

Lesley said...

Beautiful quilting. You've helped me understand the need to communicate.

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

I really like the two examples you have shown here. I also like some of the pieces you have quilted for Stephanie over at Loft Creations. While I admire elaborate quilting, I prefer simple, clean, modern quilting. These circles you show are very cool.

Abby and Stephanie said...

I just send my quilts to my very talented long arm quilter, YOU, and let you work your magic. I'm never disappointed. You seem to know exactly what I want even if I don't.

tracy_a said...

Wow - love these. so clean and graphic. is it harder to do straight lines/precise quilting on a big/fast machine?

Anonymous said...

I like mine to stay soft....

Barb said...

I love your designs, just wonderful especially the first one, goes so wonderfully with the fabrics.

Editfolt said...

beautiful.manual or mechanical stapling?

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Great information Jackie. No one likes a surprise on their quilt top.

Marjorie said...

I love your dots! Lines & dots, dots & dots. Love, love, love. Thanks for the inspiration...headed to the machine to play with dots.

Lisa said...

My friend Irene and I have a great relationship, we talk about what the theme of what I am doing is and she always comes up with beautiful designs that complement the quilt. I also believe it is important to listen to the ideas of your long armer. To me when my quilt is done I feel it was a joint work of art. I respect her talents. I have learned a lot from her over the last couple years and wouldn't want anyone else. PS Hope your having a wonderful holiday

Retrogirl said...

Jackie,
Thanks for your tips. I've yet to send a quilt out but I have some bigger projects that I'll eventually need help with...just mental notes for now.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...