Monday, March 12, 2012

My Big Find

Hello Everyone,

I must say that I am quite relaxed after my vacation last week.  We did lots of things and one thing that we always try to do is find a book store... a used book store because you never know what you will find.  

This time, I found myself a gem!


Amish, The Art Of The Quilt 
Text by Robert Hughes

I picked it up and was completely inspired and want to make each and everyone of them! 
The reason why this is such a gem is because unbeknownst to me, this book is out of print!!! I purchased it for $7.00!  There are sites online that are selling it for exorbitant prices.  I lucked out for sure!

 I would like to share some of my favorites with you.


This Sunshine and Shadows was fabulous and it was made in several different color ways.


This rendition of Diamond in the Square was one of my favorite color combos.


This Diamond in the Square is simplistic, but hands down a fantastic color combo!


A great traditional Basket quilt.


Loved this variation on the Double Nine Patch.


Fabulous Wild Goose Chase.


The maker of this quilt enhanced the Bars with the patchwork inner border.


This Sunshine And Shadow from 1910 has extra added "umpf" with the pieced border.

Most of these quilts were from Lancaster County, PA and from the early 1900s.  

I am just so tickled that I came across this book and now own it!  A true find.  I was thinking that these would look fabulous in the Kona Cottons that you can find in my shop, what do you think?


If you can find one of these for yourself at a reasonable price go for it!! Or possibly go on the hunt like I did, the hunt is probably the best part... besides the prize!


Until Next Time...

Share/Bookmark

18 comments:

Clare said...

OMG! How awesome! Lucky lucky you.

I love Amish quilts and my bible is Amish Abstractions. Find it on Amazon and see what you think. Totally addictive.

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

What a treasure!!

Gene Black said...

Great find! I saw one for $12 in paperback on one site. But I don't need anymore books....really I don't....

Abby and Stephanie said...

Terrific find. Love Amish quilts AND used book stores. I know you'll come up with some amazing color combinations.

Wendy said...

My mother gave me that wonderful book years ago, I'm in the process of finishing a quilt w/baskets and Ohio stars, the block is in that book and I didn't realize it until I saw your post. Thanks
Wendy

Anya said...

What a prize, indeed! Did you know that the Lancaster Quilt and Textile Museum will be having an exhibit of 80-some of these quilts during the AQS show this week? I'll be down there on Wednesday and can't wait to see it in person!

Nedra said...

I'm with you. That is a fabulous book! What book store did you find it in?

Kim said...

I thought Kona solids were made for Amish quilts..... they are a perfect match I couldn't agree more. I've made several and can't believe how rich the colors look. Now where will you start?

Happy Sewing

Lesley said...

The quilts in that book are wonderful! Good for you for finding a wonderful treasure! When will we see a finished quilt? Soon I hope!

Helen said...

Oh Jackie, you are so lucky! My first love was Amish quilts....and you never get over your first!!!

olga patch said...

Gracias por compartir tan bello libro con todos.
Un gran beso,

Pinkadot Quilts said...

Great book with lots of good inspiration!

Sharon T said...

You certainly scored big! Amish quilts have been a favorite of mine for thirty years or more. I can't wait to see what you do using the Kona solids.

WoolenSails said...

I just got a lot of books from the library and this was one of them. I love being able to search through the libraries and have them delivered to my local one, great way to get books you might not have seen before.

Debbie

Kathryn said...

I bought that book when it first came out and I still use it for inspiration.

Helen said...

What a great find. Enjoy looking through this book, again and again. The Amish quilts look lovely. Thanks for letting me dream.

Vivian said...

Great find Jackie! I love Amish quilts, the coloring is always so stunning. The ones you showcase here are really beautiful and ripe for replicating!

Cathi said...

What a fabulous find!! I love looking at Amish quilts -- they are so unbelievably striking.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...