Monday, July 18, 2011

Construction Of A Quilt Top

Hello Everyone,

Remember when I posted about my Total Eclipse quilt here and here? I have finally finished the last four units and this weekend was able to put it up on the design wall. So I thought you might like to see the process of constructing this top on the design wall.


First I needed to put the big spiky units up on the wall. This wasn't too challenging at this point. I think I was able to achieve a good layout and mix of the colors.


Now I had to add the border units. This was a little more challenging because I didn't want any of the brightly colored batik strips to be next to the same color in the spike units. Again, I think it was a good mix.


Now to add the quarter circle units. This definitely was more challenging. I wanted to get a good layout of even color throughout, a good flow... no two colors next to one another. That also required some rearranging of the border units as well.

There is only one thing that I may need to change. When I got to the end I had two purple units left and two orange units left to create a whole circle... see them at the bottom. So the dilemma:

1. Do I leave it this way?
2. Do I rearrange to achieve more randomness?
3. Do I make 2 more units of purple or orange to make a complete circle and then just put the two that remain on the quilt back?

What do you think?


Of course this is a Judy Niemeyer pattern and can be found in the shop along with a wonderful variety of batiks.

Also, you need to go and check out my friend, Faith's Blog. I am a new sponsor there and she is just a wealth of information. Lots of fun... just click here.

On my next blog post you will see a quilt top that I finished!!

Until Next Time...

Share/Bookmark

31 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

Spectacular spikes! I think you should leave the purple and orange together. Adds a little whimsy. I think they belong together.

Barb said...

Your quilt is awesome...and I would leave it, it looks great.

Patti said...

Hi Jackie! Oh my, what a beauty you have created. I would definitely leave it as is....just to remind us all that nothing in the universe is totally perfect!!

Lynette said...

I would either leave it as it is, or see what it looks like if you leave all the center circles and incomplete circles as they are, but mix up the centers of the complete circles on the outer edges so that those are multi-colored. That might be interesting, with the stability in the center and scrappiness on the outer. Might just look like a mess, though - can't tell without seeing it.

happydaysquilting said...

Awesome quilt, I love it just the way it is!

Jennifer Woo said...

WOW, looks great. I love the colors and the layout.

Judy D in WA said...

FAB. U. LOUS! I think you have to decide if you can live with it the way it is. Me, I'd love to live with it that way. :) Can't wait to see what you decide to do.

Lisa said...

gorgeous!!!! What a lot of work!

Caro said...

I like it the way it is. By the way, it takes your blog webpage forever to load. Thought you'd want to know.

Helen said...

I love it as is...the slight irregularity only adds to its appeal. Perfection is boring!

Sally Hamilton said...

Wow! Wow! Wow!

Kay Stephenson said...

I love it the way it is. In fact, it didn't trouble me at all until I read what you wrote. I think I would leave it this way.

Nedra said...

Looks good from here.
My friend Jan is in Montana right now taking a workshop from Judy N. The quilt shop she works for sent her to learn. Wouldn't that be fun!

Janet said...

I love it as is but it's going to be spectacular either way. I like that sometimes you can look for colors together and get a nice surprise when you do.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I would definitely leave it!! It adds a little perk to an otherwise predictable outcome.

Quilter Kathy said...

Totally gorgeous! I would like to see what it looks like with the blocks all random. Definately don't make more blocks :)!!!

Staci said...

Such a beautiful quilt, and I have enjoyed watching your put it together. Took the plunge on my first JN pattern, the one you recommended. Eager for it to arrive so I can start studying it! Your work is very inspiring, thank you!

Linda said...

So ok since you asked. #1... Ummm No.
#2... Yes unless that would be a real headache.
#3... Yes if you don't want the headache from #2.
;o)

AnnieO said...

I like the split circle but not where it is placed, funnily enough. It sort of seems an afterthought at the bottom there. But your mix of colors and placement looks wonderful otherwise! Good luck with your final decision making :)

teachpany said...

It looks okay as is, but I would either make 2 new 1/4 circles or rearrange some of the others to make it look better. It looks like you planned the other circles to match, and that one doesn't, so it looks like a mistake or that you just went with it. I like the brighter colors vs. the ones on the book cover, but the cover looks better with the matching circle at the bottom. Just MHO, though. Aren't you glad you can see it before sewing it?? Love design walls.

Eileen said...

it's fantastic as it is to me!!

Jill Chapman said...

I'd leave them as the 2 orange, 2 purple but alternate them so they form quarters. I think that will make it look more planned

Thelma said...

I vote for #3, but random does not come easily for me. You could always try #2, and if it's not pleasing, #3 could be your fall back plan!

This is an amazing project, Congratulations.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Make two more and put the others on the back!
It's amazing Jackie - love the colors!

Barb in Mi said...

Wow, love it! Absolutely amazing - I wouldn't change a thing!

Jean said...

This is so beautiful!!!

Anonymous said...

It is beautiful, I would change the layout to more random, tho'. I think it makes an interesting quilt even more so. JMHO

The Vegetarian Hunter said...

If it were me, I would make them all a little random, but I really like that look. Its busier, but I feel with the fabrics being all batiks, you can afford to have more going on. Again, just me, it looks great as is too. Thanks for sharing your progress on this, it was great to see all your pictures.
cheers,
Carolyn

Teresa said...

I would leave it just as is - and it is Beautiful!

Cathi said...

I'd leave it just as it is. It's absolutely stunning!

Unknown said...

Hi Jackie I think it really looks great the way it is but if you could not live with it then I would simply do number 2...have a great day

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...