Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Bright Spikes

Hello Everyone,

This past weekend, I had the opportunity to take another class with a favorite of mine, Judy Niemeyer. I have been lucky, in the past, to have also taken classes with her. A terrific teacher and pattern designer.

Anyway, this past weekend she was on this side of the country visiting my sister-in-law's guild in Kingston, NY. Luckily it is not too far of a drive for me, so of course, I went.

The Trunk show and Lecture were divine!! Tons of her gorgeous quilts. Then two classes. The photos in this one are of the Total Eclipse Pattern.


These are some of the spike blocks before trimming down. I chose 4 really dark background batiks and then very saturated brightly colored batiks for good contrast.


Here are some of the blocks are trimmed down and fitted with the quarter circle spikes. I was just playing here, this will not be the permanent layout.


Here Judy is showing her technique for setting in and sewing the curves.


Great technique, virtually no pinning.


The block above is my sister-in-law's block. She was making the Sunflower Illusions pattern. Both of the patterns use the same technique with a little variation.


Here Judy is showing her Total Eclipse. A beauty!! If you every have an opportunity to take a class with Judy do it. I have taken several and I am always learning something new.

I will hopefully be posting more progress on this soon, but with the holidays coming up we'll just have to see how far I get.

The giveaway results will be posted later this week. Don't forget about the Pre-cut sale going on in the shop. Use the code precut15 to get 15% off!


Until Next Time...

Share/Bookmark

19 comments:

deborah said...

How exciting! I love her work, and am enjoying the colors you chose to work with-

irishgirlsews said...

Beautiful blocks, I too love Judy's patterns, just need to gather a few more bold Batiks and then I'll be ready to attempt one of her patterns....Thanks for sharing the pics
Wendy

Carol from Panama said...

I love Judy's patterns and bright batiks - how lucky you are to be able to take classes with her. Can't wait to see how your version turns out - how can you go wrong with all those gorgeous batiks!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I Have made two of Judy's patterns, I doubt I will ever be able to take a class of hers though unless I travel somewhere to do so. I love her patterns.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Abby and Stephanie said...

Total Eclipse is dazzling! Great fabrics and colors you and your SIL are using.

Donna~~ said...

Wow they are all gorgeous! Guess I better add another quilt or two to my to do list!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Judy's patterns are great! Getting into her workshop is a great way to get started on a new project too.

Sherri said...

These blocks are stunning, Jackie! I'd love to take a class from her someday!

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

You're always working on something amazing! I love it!

Cathi said...

I love her patterns -- they are so stunning!
And I love your blocks. The colours you chose are just glowing!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Jackie, this is stunning...

WoolenSails said...

Love that pattern and the fabrics, the piecing is beautifully done. Would love to take her class.

Debbie

Unknown said...

If I had one wish, it would be to take one of Judy's classes. I love, love, love her designs and to be able to watch and learn from her, WOW!
Your quilt is amazing. Love your color choices. Thanks so much for sharing. Think I know what my next project is going to be.

julieQ said...

What gorgeous blocks! I love them, love them!

Kathy said...

I love the colors in the black background its really perks up the whole block!!! Keep making more to share, they are beautiful.

Glenna @ Hollyhock Quilts said...

Wow, Jackie! This is gorgeous! Can't wait to see it all together. A real eye popper!

pratima said...

These blocks are spectacular! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving :)

quiltingnana said...

glad you had a great time at the workshop. Happy Thanksgiving

Lori said...

Oh my gosh!! That looks like an awesome class!! The colors you used are fantastic and perfect for this style of quilt!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...