Sunday, July 10, 2011

PA Dutch Sights

Hello Everyone,

As you know from my post here, I was at the Kutztown Folk Festival last weekend. In addition to the quilts that I shared, I wanted to share some of my other favorite things from the festival.


Hex signs are such a tradition in PA Dutch country. I have always loved them since I was little. They remind me so much of quilt blocks.


They come in all different sizes and you can hang them just about any where.


There were several wood turning craftsmen there and one had this wonderful little display of colorful wooden tops. My daughter and I couldn't resist spinning several of them.


I don't know what it is, but I always love seeing the baby animals. They have bunnies, lots of them... you know how much they multiply!


Baby ducklings.


Piglets. Happy as two pigs in a poke.


Don't you just love his haircut?


But I must say that one of my favorites and most inspirational is this beautiful fellow. Just look at the color in his feathers.


Gorgeous color and pattern.


This is just my most favorite photo. Can you see a quilt here?


Sorry for this photo, but it just made me giggle. A very pregnant female. She just has to be uncomfortable and ready to birth at any moment.


Last but not least, the hubs spending lots of time at the "Brain Teaser" table. This craftsman had tons of wooden puzzle that were virtually impossible to solve. We stood there for about 40 minutes or so trying everyone.

Of course, if you made a purchase you received the solution. So we purchased three. We didn't look at the solutions as we wanted to mentally torture ourselves for just a little while longer. ;)

Before you leave, just wanted to let you know that ALL Westminster Fabrics and Batiks are marked down to $7.75 per yard through tomorrow in the shop! Don't delay, start shopping now by clicking here.

Also, don't forget to enter the giveaway here for Kona Cotton Solids and Aurifil Thread!

Until Next Time...

Share/Bookmark

20 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

Love the hex signs. My Grandma was from Harrisburg, PA. The pregnant goat makes me giggle too. Have fun with your brain teasers.

Terry said...

Love the pregnant goat! Our neighbors have pygmy goats and her two ewes look just like that one right now! They're not due until next month! LOL

Lynette said...

Oh, boy! I remember when our cat looked like that! hehe

I sure would have loved being at that Folk Festival. Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Love the Hex sign and wish I could buy a few.
Bought a book about them at the Amish Farm last year in November.

cheers
Christine

Lynette said...

(Oh, dear, I went shopping. ;D Thanks for the terrific Kona prices. Lots of fun fabrics in your shop!)

Lisa said...

great photos!

*karendianne. said...

I never even knew about the PA Hex Signs. I definitely don't get out enough. What a thrilling experience this is over coffee. Great, sharing post. Thanks so much. Batiks at 7.75 - okay, I'll peek. I don't have anyyyy. ;)

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

I have a pair of earrings with Hex signs on them. I've had them for years. I love those wooden tops! I would have bought them all!! I'll have to remember this folk festival for next year. I know I would enjoy going. My husband may enjoy it too.

Nedra said...

Great pictures Jackie. The pregnant goat brought back all those feelings of what it felt like at 9 months and sooo ready to deliver. They say you forget, but you don't!

Micki said...

I love the hex signs! I remember seeing them every time I went to the PA Dutch country. I enjoyed all of the pics!
Micki

YankeeQuilter said...

We had a hex sign on our summercottage...sort of a sign of summer when we went down to the beach and took the sign out of storage!

Evelene S said...

Thank you for sharing the festival with us. As a California gal I've never seen hex signs so thanks for sharing. They are all so beautiful and I just love the wooden crafts and toys. It looks like you and your family had a wonderful time.

HOPE said...

What inspirations you get from the signs...Beautiful!!!

I did see that quilt in the feathers!!! ;)

Thanks for the wonderful and colorful post.

HOPE

Marsha said...

I can see another trip to add to my Bucket List

Char said...

Thanks for the pictures. Those wooden tops are beautiful.

Cathi said...

I love the hex signs -- what amazing work!
The little ducklings are so sweet!

Catsngrams said...

Love the hexes beautiful colors. I bet that goat had two kids. She looks so miserable but I loved the picture. Great seeing the pictures I need an outing about now. Hope I can get one.

Chris Daly said...

Look at all those wonderful hex signs. Reminds me of my grandparents. The peacock photos are amazing!!!

Dana - Old Red Barn Co. said...

I love, love, love hex signs. I've got several but the photo here looks like the heaven!

Nanette Merrill said...

I'm so JEALOUS!! Did you have home fries and funnel cake? I love the hex signs and I have a few. One of these days I want to make a hex sign quilt. However, I know I'll have to paper piece it and that makes me unhappy. So I need to figure out a way to make the quilt I have in my head. Someday...I hate saying that because I want to do this.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...