Friday, July 22, 2011

Cutting Corners

Hello Everyone,

A few days ago in this post about my Total Eclipse quilt, I had asked about your opinions on the placement of the quarter circles at the bottom of the quilt. Just click here to see what I mean, if you haven't read it. Anyway, thank you for all your opinions! I did make a decision, but you will have to wait just a wee bit longer to find out.

However, I thought that this would be a great time to show you how to add the "extra" quarter circles to the blocks that did not already have the cut out.


In this block you will see that the first quarter circle is already sewn in. This is because the original paper foundation already had that quarter circle cut out in place. All that I had to do was sew in the quarter circle.

However, this block and some other interior and border blocks require you to cut the quarter circle out.


Judy Niemeyer provides the template in her patterns to do this. You can see you will lay the template on the corner and cut around the curved edge with your rotary cutter. Yes, I use the rotary cutter! This is one of the tips that Judy teaches you in her class. Really easy and quick to do, once you have done it a few times. A time saver for sure!


Here is what the two pieces will look like.


Then take the piece you just cut away and...


You will end up with a stack of quarter circles like this. I am already playing with these. They may end up being another quilt or go on the back of this one.


Then you sew in the quarter circle and end up with a really beautiful block and...


A big pile of papers that you have peeled off of the back!!

Well, if you have stayed with me this long, I have a special surprise...


How would you like to win this bundle of Art Gallery Oval Elements? If the answer is yes, please visit my friends, Heather and Megan at Quilt Story for all the details!


Next post you will see the decision that I made about the bottom quarter circles!

Until Next Time...

Share/Bookmark

19 comments:

Ruth said...

That's a really beautiful block! So intricate!

Abby and Stephanie said...

Like bright crayons against a chalkboard. I love spikey!

Lisa said...

I just love those bright colors! Gorgeous spikes!

Jean said...

This is so gorgeous. I can't imagine the hours it took. I want to do something like this, but haven't devoted the time. I am so impressed!

Selvage Quilter said...

Wowzers! I love it.

Browndirtcottage said...

Oh MY!!!! I'm just swooning over that block Jackie!!

Lynette said...

yep - love the colors you chose for this Neimeyer!

Kathryn said...

The fabrics in this block are my favorite. Your tutorials make it all seem doable!

Kathryn said...

I am a follower of Canton Village on facebook. Yeah!

Kathryn said...

I am getting the Canton Village Newsleter. I look forward to reading it when it comes to my in-box.

Kathryn said...

I do follow the Canton Village blog. Thanks for your giveaway with Quilt Story.

4dreamsr said...

This is a gorgeous block! Thanks for showing how it's done.

Salley said...

I follow Canton Village blog. Love the creativity.

Salley said...

Canton Village post on my facebook page already. It is always a surprise to see the new entries. Hope to win a give away oneday!

Salley said...

The canton Village Newsletter comes to my email address. I love to read about new blocks and fabrics from them.

Salley said...

Would love the art Gallery Fabrics as I have some of the pure elements solids and need the co-ordinating colours not seen near me in Oz yet. So bright and vibrant. Love them.

quiltmom anna said...

I do love her patterns and have about 4 or 5 of them sitting in a pile waiting to be used. Ah that to do list of mine keeps getting higher and deeper. Some day piles in the making.
Thanks for sharing your beautiful quilt blocks. I am certain it will be a stunner.
Regards,
Anna

A Quilters Playhouse said...

These are beautiful fabrics, Jackie. Not as beautiful as your quilt blocks but just think of the possibilities! Thanks.

Claudia said...

Beautiful ~~~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...