Friday, January 6, 2012

Winging It

Hello Everyone,

For a long time now, I have been wanting to make an airplane quilt. There are couple of reasons why, first and foremost my hubby flies as his hobby,  I think they are pretty cool quilts, and they were popular in the WWII era.  There is definitely history in these quilts.

My hubby has always been very supportive of my hobby and actually was the one who got me started, and guess what, I did the same for him... yes, I got him started flying years ago.  It has it's advantages too... we can go places a lot faster than driving.


Today I made my test block.  I always like making one block first to see how it is constructed and the if I like to color combos.  As you can see this will be a red, white, and blue quilt.  I used batiks and Kaffe Fassett fabrics from my shop.


I began but cutting all the components.  There were quite a few pieces, but I really do love the finished block.  It is 12.5 inches.



I used this book, by Eleanor Burns.  Eleanor Burns in my mind is a legend in the quilting world.  My first quilt in 1992 was from one of her books.  Clear and concise instructions are always present.

The book is fabulous and has many different blocks that were present in the 1940s.


This is the block. 


Here it is paired with the Propeller block.


Here is an actual quilt from the 1940s made from this block.  I like this version for its historical significance.


The above book is one that I own and also am lucky enough to know the author as she lives here in Connecticut.  She does go around the country and lectures and does trunk shows.  You can find her book on Amazon by clicking here and you can go directly to her website by clicking here.

Do you love historical quilts?  Imagine that the quilts that we are creating today will be a part of history... that just really blows my mind.  Make sure you have those labels on your quilts for good documentation!!


Oh yes, I had to throw in this photo of little Watson making himself right at home on my sewing chair.  He is definitely becoming a fabric/quilt lover!  I am teaching him well.

If you haven't entered my Fat Quarter Giveaway, click here now to see the details.


Until Next Time...


Share/Bookmark

22 comments:

antique quilter said...

can't wait to see more blocks of this airplane quilt. btw love the idea of it being RWB too and that red is one of my all time favorite kaffes' just makes me smile!
I have always wanted to make one of these.
Aren't Sue's books wonderful?
Kathie

Abby and Stephanie said...

Gotta start the kitties when they're young to appreciate the fine art of quilting. :o) What a special quilt for your husband. LOVE historical quilts. I have a growing collection of historical quilt books.

Anonymous said...

Made one for my son many years ago and he had it on his bed for years, not sure what I did with the quilt....

Karen said...

I made some of those airplane blocks a few years ago that were for a baby quilt. I like that Flyboy setting in the book you show.

Becky said...

Your airplane block looks wonderful!!!. I think we are having Sue Reich for a guild program later this year. Thanks for sharing your progress with us! Have a great weekend!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I haven't seen that pattern before, interesting! You will have fun making it I'm sure, cute cat.
Karen

Nedra said...

A great quilt to go with your husband's hobby. There are a lot of airplane patterns out there, and I like your choice.

Barb said...

Happy New Year
what a fun quilt.
There were some great r&w airplane quilts last year - this one is going to be great.

cynthia said...

This is going to be a fabulous quilt. Thanks for documenting your fascinating process.

Vicki W said...

I love the airplane block and it's going to be a really cool block!

Mary said...

I like Eleanor, too! I have almost all of her books and have her First Ladies Book on my wish list for when I get to meet her again at our EXPO in March. She's so fun to watch and listen to in an Expo seminar. Your DH is lucky you are making him a quilt finally! I bet he'll like it even more than your SON did.

Nifty Quilts said...

How fun! I love airplane quilts too. Haven't seen anyone make one recently. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress!

Pat V. said...

Jackie, this is so much fun! I think I'm gonna have to make one for a foster child charity quilt!

Lisa said...

that is going to be a beautiful quilt!

Cathi said...

What a great shot of little Watson! Made me wonder, though -- has he developed a taste for fabric yet? :-) Baxter has a habit of stealing a little piece of fabric now and then.
That airplane quilt is going to be fabulous -- what a super idea!

pasqueflower said...

What a fun traditional block!

pat sloan said...

Somewhere i have an exhibit book from a show that hung in Oshkosh

the girlfriend gap said...

this is going to be a delightful quilt for you to cherish. happy stitching. can't wait to see the finished product. janita

Remembrances said...

I have a vintage airplane block baby quilt top made by my Grandma and her sisters - red and white. I love it! And I was told by my Grandma that it was made for my Dad, but for some reason was never finished. And ironically, my Dad became a fighter pilot in the USAF! Karin

Beth said...

This is a great block--thanks for sharing it. My dad was a fighter pilot in WWII and Korea, and so I'm always on the look-out for a plane-themed quilt block.

Your batik version takes something old-timey and makes it modern. I'll have to think about that when it's my turn.

Christine said...

Look forward to seeing more plane blocks. The book looks really interesting. Watson is adorable ... he looks so relaxed on your sewing chair.

Selvage Quilter said...

I have been thinking about making an airplane quilt too! My inspiration comes from one that I saw at the red and white quilt show last April in NYC. It was an antique. I like your version.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...