Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Black and White Inspiration Volume II

Hello Everyone,

I hope you enjoyed my first volume of Black and White Inspiration. I have several more to do. It is definitely no secret that I love the combination of Black and White fabrics with a strong saturated color. I have tried various combinations and the next one is one of my favorites.

My favorite color, hands down, is hot pink or fuchsia. So, of course, I had to try it with my Black and White stash. Years ago while we were vacationing somewhere in the south, sorry I don't remember where, I saw the following quilt in a little quilt shop.


Funny I can still see the shop in my mind's eye and where this quilt was hanging. So I asked the owner if I could take a picture as I wanted to make it myself. No problem! I then proceeded to purchase some black and white fabric from her as well as the book for the pattern. Sorry I don't remember the book either, but I do remember it was a Nancy Smith and Lynda Milligan book.


Anyway, this quilt just grabbed my attention and I had to make it. To tell you the truth, I made the top pretty much right after vacation. And guess what, this one still isn't quilted either. I really need to get it on my long arm! Another one hanging in the closet. Soon, I think, soon...


But don't you just love how the hot pink just pops on this one (don't you like it Jane?) I used a variety of Black and White prints for a scrappier version. Using a variety of fabrics tends to give a quilt more of a scrappy look and I like that. What do you think?

So in my next volume of Black and White Inspiration, which color do you think I will add?

In the meantime, you can now read my most current newsletter online by clicking here.

Until Next Time...

Share/Bookmark

24 comments:

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

I adore this hot pink with the black and white Jackie. Such an eye popping quilt. Will you use aqua next? xo

Abby and Stephanie said...

I think hot pink is black and white's best friend. Great quilt! How about Lime next.

Simone de Klerk said...

The combination is 'hot'!

And I agree, it looks scrappier with the different fabrics, but still very balanced!

The Calico Cat said...

LIME!
(Mine with several solid reds is waiting...)
I liked using yellow too. Something unexpected.

Kathleen said...

Hot popping quilt! Love it.

Terri Stegmiller said...

I can see why that quilt caught your attention....it would catch mine too. This is just stunning.

Terriaw said...

I love the color hot pink, and I love how pink looks with black, so I adore this quilts! It's so fabulous! I love the scrappy black and white fabrics you used, which work perfectly for that block. I would love to make this! I'm thinking maybe turquoise would look cool next.

Thimbleanna said...

Lime Green! I love the hot pink -- very, very cool Ms. Jackie!!!

Anonymous said...

I am doing one with lime green: disappearing nine-patch. Not original, but fun and pretty. I think the collection is called Kiwi; I can't remember the designer.

Char said...

Beautiful. You know I like black and white with color also. I think you will probably use Aqua, but what about a nice Royal blue?

Audrie said...

So lovely! I have a friend who's obsessed with black, white and red... I definitely have to make her a quilt sometime soon!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Oh even before I looked, I had the same idea as Thimbleanna - lime green!

DianeY said...

I love, love, love it! My other choice was lime as well, but a bright yellow or turquiose might be nice, too!
I had to laugh at your post, though. I was in a quilt shop on vacation in CO last year & asked if I could take a picture of a quilt - I might has well have asked for all the money in their register!

Jennifer said...

This quilt is stunning! Purple would be a fun compliment... perhaps a lighter shade so that it still "pops".

Jennifer :)

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

LOVE THE PINK!!!!
no one hears me say that very often..!!! (don't use much pink)
It looks awesome wit the black and white...

Fleurette said...

That pink is really hot!lovely quilt! aqua or purple would also look great.

Rumi said...

Oh I'm sure Jane is drooling over this one LOL! It really is lovely and yes, the pink just "pops"!

pratima said...

The pink makes it very bold but also beautiful! The setting is gorgeous!

Cathi said...

The pink is fabulous -- love it. But then pink is my favourite colour. Maybe a brilliant bright lime green next?

Munaiba said...

That's really stunning, almost like an optical illusion quilt.

Quiltpiecer said...

Ooooh! I love it! It's beautiful! The book is Super Simple Squares...the pattern is Blue Skies. I made a quilt top with blue fabrics, but I love the b/w combo with hot pink ... or lime or turquoise would be awesome!

Victoria said...

That combo looks spectacular!

Anne Heidi said...

The quilt is just awesome! I love the hot pink with the black and white :-)

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

How in dear heavens did I miss this!! YIKES Me likey very, very, much. I think you next quilt should be black and white and cotton candy pink!!! Is that a Kona Pink, super color!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...