Sunday, December 30, 2012

A Vintage Find

Hello Everyone,

While in Pennsylvania for Christmas, we went to a flea market and I found a beautiful quilt.  I really couldn't believe the condition it was in and I love the design.  


It is all hand quilted and the fabrics are a calico (30s) type print and white.  It did have a stain on it, but when I got it home, I washed it and the stain came out... YAY!!


Pavi came to check it out.  The always present quilt inspector.


Here is the block and a close up of the fabric and quilting.  Does anyone know the name of this block??  I am not sure, but I can totally see this made up in modern fabrics.  In fact, I think I may just do that!


I think Pavi really approved, he is more than comfortable.  

But what I couldn't really believe was the pristine condition it was in, unfortunately the man selling it didn't know the year it was made or who made it.  He said he had gotten it from an estate sale.  No label on it either.

The other great thing was that I got it for a song and a dance!! I couldn't believe the price.


Right now it is living on my railing in my foyer.  I really like how it looks there.

If you have any clue as to the name of the block or possible age of this quilt, I would really appreciate any input.

Thanks!!

Until Next Time...

Share/Bookmark

22 comments:

Holli said...

Wow - that is a gorgeous quilt! Lucky you!

Michele said...

The 1st word out of my mouth was Wow! Great find. I'm sure you will enjoy it for a long time.

Abby and Stephanie said...

A very different "two color" quilt. It's beautiful and unusual too. Just curious how you washed and dried it. I love how it crinkles. This is why we should label and I'm very band about that!

Mystica said...

It is very pretty and I like it that you got it so reasonably priced. You will give it a loving home I know.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Oh how lucky for you Jackie!! It is just beautiful

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

pretty but no don't know the name of the block

Deb said...

i love that swag that she used. I made myself a 2 fabric quilt that the swag will be perfect for...I think I will have to design something like that...
Love the quilt and the design too.

Jean(ie) said...

That is exciting! I love the simplicity of it. Love it! And I just adore repro fabric quilts. There is just something about them that makes me smile!

Lucky you!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

The print looks like the type I was using in the late 1950s, early 1960s to make aprons. Bates cottons comes to mind $1.00 a yard, a huge price to pay at that time.

Lori said...

It's a beauty!! Lucky you!!

WoolenSails said...

What a beautiful find and nice pattern.

Debbie

Cathy said...

Wow, what a gorgeous quilt! I love that pattern and the border design, too.

Nifty Quilts said...

Great find! I don't know the name of the block. You could ask Barbara Brackman. I agree, it would be wonderful in modern prints and colors! Happy new year!

Elaine M said...

Lovely quilt, looks soft and inviting. Even without the bright solid fabrics and more leafy branches that you expect in a Hawaiian quilt this pattern reminds me of one.

O'Quilts said...

Wonderful!! I agree with Wanda..looks like 50's...but you never know. And according to my calendar, 50's is 60 years ago....unbelievable. Maybe the quilter made up the pattern like a snowflake. At any rate, I love it and you got a great find. Don't you ever wish you could talk to the person, probably dead and tell them how much you love their work?

goecker said...

It is a beauty indeed - I think it looks like the crosses on the Ireland tumbstones where we went. Some kind of a celtic cross maybe...

Patty said...

Great find beautiful condition too!
Lucky you.

Vesuviusmama said...

It's lovely! I'm curious - how did you wash it? Any special way that you do it?

StasaLynn said...

Absolutely beautiful. Congrats on such a great find!

Michele T said...

You are very lucky with this 'mystery' quilt!! It is beautiful!!

Teresa said...

I love the quilt and the simplicity of the design. I have never seen the block before or a swag quite like that. I think this must be a one-of-a-kind treasure.

Retrogirl said...

What a fantastic quilt, Jackie!! I love the simple applique design and the beautiful border.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...