Sunday, June 12, 2011

Going Green

Hello Everyone,

Today is our second meeting of the Mod Conn Quilt Guild. At our first meeting, a challenge was issued. We needed to use just green fabric and create a 12.5 inch unfinished block. We had to interpret what green means to us. We will bring our blocks to the meeting and then we will discuss a layout for them into one quilt!

Fun!


So I started out with this, using my scraps but wasn't quite happy at how it was turning out. It just wasn't what I envisioned.


I started again. I decided to paper piece my idea. I drew up the lines on paper a bit larger than 12.5 inches so that I could trim down to the appropriate size.


Here is the beginnings of my Blades of Grass. That is what I envision when I see green these days. Everything here is just soooo green.


Here is the block all completed. Just a few blades of grass is various greens. Definitely what I had envisioned. I am looking forward to seeing everyone else's blocks and what their interpretation of green will be.

I will make sure to take photos today and post them to show you all the different blocks that were made.


P.S. Don't forget... there is Free Shipping on ALL orders over $100 dollars in the shop. Ends tomorrow at 10:00 EDT.

Until Next Time...

Share/Bookmark

18 comments:

antique quilter said...

your right everything is just so GREEN right now!
great choice of a block
can't wait to see how others interpret the challenge
kathie

Abby and Stephanie said...

Very cool!

Mary Grace McNamara said...

Oh yes, I like your version of green! And you don't even have to mow it!

MGM

Barb said...

I like your blades of grass and using paper piecing was so smart.

Nedra said...

What a great way to use up scraps. I especially love all those kaffes in there.
Have a fun time!

Lynette said...

Fun to be part of a new guild. :) I love greens!

Kim said...

More rain last night with a real green up this morning......I am so smart...I mowed Friday :0).
Nothing I like more than the smell of freshly cut grass.....that is what your blocks brings to mind.
This going to be an interesting quilt.....I look forward to the pictures :0)

Happy Sewing

Dandelion Quilts said...

Quite a fresh idea....

Jean said...

I love green and I love your grass blades block!

Pinkadot Quilts said...

Very cool! Love your idea.

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Blades of grass was the first thing I thought of too. Summer in Florida means brown grass unfortunately. We are lucky enough to have a few patches of green grass but most of our back yard is brown due to lack of rain.

I like that you used a lighter shade of green for your background. Makes the blades pop nicely.

Keep Stitchin' said...

I love it! I see what you mean about your first try. I definitely love how you interpreted it on the next one... I love green!

Barb said...

awesome block! love those greens.

Thimbleanna said...

Very cool Jackie! I love green prints you selected -- they all look great together!

Andrea, the little collector said...

Love that block! Green grass indeed!!!

Nanette Merrill said...

Pretty smart...like green grass. I even think I could do that paper piecing for it.

Miriam said...

I love your green block! Its great it turned out how you envisioned.
I look forward to seeing everyone else's blocks too.

Anonymous said...

I like your block, and I hope you post what the others do, it is fun to follow along. - K.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...