Thursday, August 5, 2010

Black and White Inspiration Vol. IV

Hello Everyone,

Yes, yet another black and white quilt!! This time the color that I added was pink, a BIG favorite of mine. There is a little story behind this quilt. I made it for my friend, who was diagnosed with breast cancer. It was to be auctioned at her Quilt Pink Event at her quilt store about 5 years ago.

I made the whole thing from my stash and the proceeds were to go to the Susan G. Komen For the Cure fund. I loved the quilt so much that I bought it back from her! The money still going to the Susan G. Komen For the Cure fund. All of her friends made a special quilt for her that she has and cherishes to this day.

Since then, she has been cancer free and monitored regularly. Her shop has closed and we miss having it around. Anyway, I love this quilt and it serves as a reminder to get my regular mammogram, which I did yesterday! For those of you who don't, I really encourage you to do so and do self-checks as well.

Now onto the quilt...


This quilt was all strip pieced from 2.5 inch strips. It was a pattern from Terry Atkinson. I believe it was in one of her pattern books. Forgive me, I cannot remember which one. Is anyone familiar with this one?


Here is the entire quilt. Love it!! You can see though, I used white fabrics with black prints. I chose not to use black fabric with white print. I think it gives it more of a lighter feel.


Don't you think the variety of pinks with the black on white fabric is just joyous together? What do you think of the pink, Jane??


I quilted it with a variegated trilobal polyester thread. It gave it a little bit of a sheen. The design was an edge to edge pantograph with hearts. Very sweet!


Couldn't resist just one more full shot of this quilt. So please remember to get regular mammograms and to remind your friends and loved ones to do the same.

Just a little business, make sure you check my shop, lots of new items have been added! To learn of new things the day they come in "like" me on my Facebook fan page (you will know the minute new things are there) and also sign up for my discount and happenings e-mailing, by clicking here.

Until Next Time...


Share/Bookmark

37 comments:

Cathi said...

How gorgeous! Pink is my favourite colour and this quilt is fantastic! No wonder you bought it back!

Abby and Stephanie said...

Fantastic! I like that you used white with black and the pink--yes a lighter look to the quilt. Quilter's are so generous. This quilt has special meaning.

antique quilter said...

love the pink :) I totally agree the white with black is perfect for this quilt and to keep it light and airy.
great story and I can see why you had to buy it back
I would have too!
Kathie
great cause!

Terry said...

I'm not so much into pink, but this quilt is just beautiful! :0)

The Calico Cat said...

Love it, but I bet you knew I would. (I am going to use only black on whites with jan Mullen brights - eventually on a pieced ABC quilt.)

Terri Stegmiller said...

Another fantastic quilt.

Andi said...

I think its absolutely gorgeous!!!

Lori said...

Fantastic quilt!! I really really love that color combination.
I'm glad your friend is healthy now!!

Diana from Delaware said...

That quilt is more like a Pink quilt with a little black and white rather than a B&W quilt with pink. WOW! Lots of pink!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Another beauty Jackie! Using only the white with a little black was the perfect choice! And SO MANY perfect pinks! Good for you for the mammogram reminder. I am a 23 year breast cancer survivor!

Unknown said...

That is just adorable. I have made a black and white with red and it was a big hit, I have another 'order' for one in B and W but it is for a guy so not sure what other colors he will let me put in it. But they are so fun...just loving the B@W. You did a beautiful job as usual.

Nancy said...

I made a pink/black/white Yellow Brick Road for my daughter for Christmas a couple of years ago... she loved it... all my pinks were 30's...

Love that pattern. will need to check out terry's site and see if I can find it..cause you know she has a shortcut to get it done quick..

Nedra said...

What a wonderful story. And especially nice of you to buy back your own quilt.
Many women give themselves the "gift" of a mamogram every year for their birthday. A great way to remember the date once a year.

Chartreuse Moose said...

Love it! I'm always a pink fan...so this is just a delight! A worthy cause too!

Thimbleanna said...

Wow Jackie -- that's a gorgeous quilt! I LOVE the b&w with the pink. I've been wanting to make a b&w with just one color for a long time. Love your quilt!

Jodi said...

It's marvelous! Very fun, light and airy, and uplifting - suits your purpose very well. I, too, am gearing up to make a B&W with one color quilt. I've been collecting B&W but haven't decided on the color YET! You used some quilting terms I'm unfamiliar with: trilobal, pantograph? I could google them, though. Thanks for sharing.

Terriaw said...

I love this quilt! I think it's one of my favorites. I love the variety of pinks and the black on white prints work perfectly. I also love hearing that it's strip-pieced. Let me know if you ever remember the name of the pattern. Terry Atkinson publishes great patterns, but I don't have any of her books. Such a fun project!

Sharlee said...

The quilt is "Stunning" and I love the color combinations..

Karen said...

Perfect, and the black and white is not too overpowering for the pink. I can see why you bought it back. Great border too.

shellysquilts said...

Hey Jackie, Cute quilt, great message! Have a great day and happy sewing!

Thelma said...

I love pink, it never would have occurred to me to match pink with black on white prints, but it looks wonderful!

The pattern is perfect for this fabric combination.

Chookyblue...... said...

lovely quilt........

9patchnurse said...

Wow, Love it!! I need to make one.

Munaiba said...

I'm not really a pink person but that looks really lovely.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Stunning Jackie...

Rose Marie said...

Wow .... love this quilt and I can see why you bought it back!

Barb said...

Love it! I could do black & white quilts forever and not get tired of them. Black/White/Lime Green is one of my favs.

I do my mammo every year on my birthday ~ that way I never forget.

em's scrapbag said...

Great quilt, great cause.
Love your shop!

pratima said...

Another cute B+W quilt, Jackie! The Black and white prints are whimsical and sweet and are great with the pink!

Stina Blomgren said...

Love it Jackie..:o))
And with that important message involved with the quilt... makes it even more special... we have to take care of ourselves!

Grazia said...

This quilt is gorgeous and his value is so special...you're ok Jackie!
Kisses from Italy...

Wendy said...

Such a fantastic story behind this quilt. I love the pink with the black on white. It was a good decision to buy it back, it's just so beautiful.

Vesuviusmama said...

You are right, the black prints on white fabric does make it seem "light". It is a wonderful quilt, and I can see why you bought it back!

Nanette Merrill said...

I'm so impressed with all you're doing. And this is lovely, really great with the pink.

patty a. said...

I love this quilt. I am a collector of white and black fabrics so I can see using up my scraps with my w&b to make some great looking quilts. Thanks so much for sharing and I am glad your friend is doing well!

Shari said...

This is a gorgeous quilt! So lovely and fresh and pink! Just too yummy for words....

Quilt Rat said...

what a fabulous use of black and whites. Love the way it turned out

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...