Sunday, February 8, 2009

Outside My Box

Hello Everyone,

Yesterday I had a fantastic day. I took a class from Louisa Smith. She has several books out, here most popular being Strips and Curves. She was also on Simply Quilts and now has also been seen on The Quilt Show

I found her to be an excellent teacher. I learned a lot about color and composition and the way they can affect the quilt. It was a wonderful learning experience and if you ever have the chance to take a class with her, you should.

Anyway, now for the out of my box portion. I normally don't work with the colors in the following pictures, but for the benefit of my hubby, I did. He doesn't seem to like brights or 30's. Even though I don't work with these colors normally, I do like how it is turning out. So onto the pictures.

 I had to do pre-class work. I had to make more strata. They had to go from darks to lights. I chose batiks. Here are some of the darks.


A little punch of color, also dark.


The lights.


Here is a picture of one repeat of the strata. This is all completely sewn.  We had to make it at least 54" wide.


Here is the strata with two repeats and it is about 60" wide.


After laboriously cutting, designing, redesigning, etc., this is what I had ended up with at the end of the day. 


It is still on the design wall, all rolled up. I think it will need a little more tweaking. I know it definitely needs more lights at the bottom.  I am one of those people who has to live with it on the design wall for a while before I sew it together. I have to love it.

Anyway, I have also been busy with customer quilts and have added some to my gallery. Go check them out, you can find the most recent in the right sidebar (recent additions). My newsletter, should be out this week as well. Then we are hoping to be off to some warmer weather. Cross your fingers!

Until next time,



Share/Bookmark

33 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is a beautiful strata and you have a good start on your piece. She is a great lady.

Have you thought of adding more very dark (as well as very light) in some of the extra pieces? That is what I had to add to my b&w one once I got to the designing stage.

Jen said...

Those colors are beautiful! I love it. I think a few more very dark colors would really make it like the previous poster said. Great job. It looked like it was a lot of fun to create.

Tina Craig said...

Jackie, that's so cool! Out of my box, too. You accomplished so much in just one day.

Anonymous said...

It's coming along beautifully, Jackie! What fun! The colors you chose are just beautiful!

Vicki W said...

This is looking wonderful!

Dandelion Quilts said...

The wall is looking so cool. What a neat quilt this will be.

Kristin said...

What a transformation! Looking great. You've made me want to seek out her book and try it myself, though I'm timid about curves.

Unknown said...

that looks so amazing! And challenging :) Love your fabric selections

Carla said...

Gorgeous!! I love batiks and you chose some great ones. Can't wait to see this one done. It's beautiful.

Abby and Stephanie said...

Gorgeous colors! I have that book and template set and was hoping to self teach. Still have NOT!

PamKittyMorning said...

Wow it really is pretty. Batiks can be so hard to work with since they often have so much color variation from light to dark in each piece. Your selection is really nice.

Eileen said...

Wow.. this really is out of your box. But you are doing beautifully. I never would have guessed you were going to cut them and put them into circles.. that looks terrific!

annemariesquilt said...

This quilt turnes out just amazing and the colours are great together.
Sounds like have had a lovely time..

Kerry said...

Wow! I have that book and have always been going to, just haven't yet. It looks so lovely, congratulations on your efforts.

Anonymous said...

What an interesting quilt. The colours blend so well together.

bettyninja said...

these fabrics are amazing. I love them!

Anonymous said...

So beautiful, jackie. I amazed to see step by step how you make it.

Anonymous said...

Lovely! I would enjoy taking a color class. I definitely need to know more about that!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

wow, is that ever wonderful, who would have thought from strips you would get circles!!

Thimbleanna said...

I love those colors Jackie, but boy, does that ever look HARD!

Anina said...

Beautiful! But very complicated looking. I'm glad you had a good time.

Annette said...

So much work but look how it is paying off. This will be a very grand quilt for sure. Beautiful!

Dawn said...

Wow. I'm just speechless, Jackie. Not only are your batik choices so rich and gorgeous, the whole strata thing is positively beautiful! I am just in awe.

Nanette Merrill said...

Wow that is really interesting. I can see how the light and dark values affect the quilt in this good illustration of that.

Purple and Paisley said...

absolutely gorgeous, jackie! i just love batiks!

em's scrapbag said...

Your quilt is looking lovely. I went to a lecture by Louisa Smith. She is fabulous! Her class was full or I would have taken it also.

Glenna @ Hollyhock Quilts said...

Oh My Goodness, Jackie!! That piece is GORGEOUS!! Can't wait to see it all done.

Thanks for checking in at the blog and leaving your note of encourage ment. I always look forward to hearing from you.

Keep in touch---

Vickie E said...

Those are absolutely gorgeous fabrics...

Thimbleanna said...

Thanks for your comment on my last post Jackie -- my e-mail's acting goofy again (not my fault this time LOL), so the comment didn't get forwarded -- I've resorted to responding this way LOL.

Shirleyquilts said...

I think that result is gorgeous. I love the colors and fabrics you chose.

Marianne said...

Looking really great, Jackie. Love all those different batiks you found.

Lise in Norway said...

Love these fabrics of yours looking forward to see the hole quilt

jacquie said...

you sure did learn a lot! i need to get out and take some classes...i'm sure i'd be a lot better for it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...