Thursday, June 10, 2010

Progress On My Stash Fabrics

Hello Everyone,

Before I left on my retreat, I shared with you photos of a stack of fabrics from my stash. These fabrics are going into a very special quilt. So after I arrived at my retreat, I got right down to business.

I had already pre-cut the strips, so I just started to sew.



As you can see, here is the work in progress. You probably will never believe this, but I sewed strips ALL day Friday and ALL day Saturday. I don't know why I thought that I would get this top done in a weekend. By Saturday night, I decided I wasn't going to sew any more strip sets and on Sunday I would just press seams open.

Pressing them open helps so they don't warp and they lie really flat. That took me from 9:00 am until 1:30 pm!! I shall not tell a lie. Yes, it took THAT long. Then I was actually able to use my rotary cutter... at long last... Yay!

So I cut, and sub cut! I was one happy camper at this point. Then I began to play with the strips on the design wall at 3:00 pm. Only 1 hour left in the retreat!! So I had to hurry.


Here are the fruits of my labor. I have to say I love it in all its spotty, geometric glory.


In this photo, you can see I still need to make more strip sets. Oh no, can I handle it? Yes, I think so. Only about 3 more. But doesn't it look cool?


This is the quilt it is modeled after in the book. They used more solid and monochromatic fabrics. So it really does look a bit different, but the overall effect is the similar.


As you can see lots of color in green, brown, orange, and blue. You can see some Kaffe there too. Gotta have Kaffe in a quilt.


So what do you think, was it worth the days of sewing the strip sets together? Oh, and I think this qualifies for Stephanie's No Strings Attached Challenge. What do you think Stephanie? But I need to hurry and finish before the end of the month.

In other big news, my website got a facelift!! I am really excited about it and would love your opinion. Pop on over here and take a look! Let me know what you think, I am always trying to improve.

Until Next Time...


Share/Bookmark

42 comments:

Cathi said...

Oooh -- I love it!! What a fabulous quilt that is going to be -- can't wait to see it finished!

Sarah said...

Jackie, of course it was worth it! This is going to be a stunning quilt. Can't wait to see it all come together!

Simone de Klerk said...

A perfect string quilt! The fabrics are so pretty together!

Quilts and Cats said...

That is just amazing! That was alot of work that really paid off. The colors are a gorgeous combination.
Website looks great, too!

Terry said...

It's beautiful! And I have to say I like yours better than the original! :0)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

a lot of work but it will be worth it in the end. The longer you work on it the more in love with it you will be.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

WOW! Sounds like a lot of work but well worth the effort! Looks great!

Karen said...

Fabulous quilt - definitely worth the work. How big is it? How many strips did it take? Love the color palette. Can't wait to see if finished!

Nedra said...

Yes Jackie, it was so worth it! (easy for me to say). I love this quilt! In fact, I want to make one. It looks like a great way to use up stash fabrics.
I hope you had a great time on your retreat. The new blog look is great.

Rumi said...

I like your version much better that the one in the book! It's gorgeous!

alobsiger said...

Love it, Jackie! Isn't it amazing how long some things take that you think shouldn't take so long. :-) It's gonna be a fantastic quilt!

Maria said...

I came out great, Jackie! The colors all look so good together. Thanks for the tip on ironing the seams open when sewing strip sets. Mine always tend to curve.
Maria

Thimbleanna said...

Wow Jackie! That quilt looks awesome -- I love the colors. That's a LOT of piecing and ironing but it sounds like you had a great time! Oh -- and the new website looks great!!!

Terri Stegmiller said...

This looks wonderful. I really like your fabric and color choices.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

It looks like you got a lot done in that concentrated sewing time. Now you just need to set the time aside to piece the rest of the strips sets. I really like the quilt design and can see why you wanted to make it.

SandyQuilts said...

Oh what a neat idea.

Did you select each piece to sew next? OR was it willy nilly?

I can't wait to see the finish.

Melinda said...

Yet another great quilt from you. I love this one!

Laura said...

Great quilt! I recognize a few of those fabrics from my own stash, not counting the Kaffe's that I just bought. In fact, I just pulled out that blue pebbles fabric to possibly use for a new project.

Can't wait to see the finished quilt!

Steffi´s Candy Quilts said...

Wow, that is a great color combination and looks like a lot of work. But it´s worth it!
This is a nice pattern for a pure stash quilt, no need to buy a large piece of fabric for borders or sashing. Very clever!

Vicki W said...

That is going to be STUNNING! I really love the palette you put together.

Vesuviusmama said...

It's definitely worth sewing all those strips - I love the colors/fabrics you've used.

Unknown said...

Love the color combo! Super!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh Jackie it was worth all the time and thread!! I really love it and might just have to make one too! off to your website!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Great job on the web-site so easy to go from place to place!!

Rafael's Mum said...

Wow that is amazing! A mammoth marathon but such a lovely result! You must feel great satisfaction having it done! Love the colours.

Hi! My name is erica. Would you be my friend? said...

It looks great! It makes me want to try one. However...I believe I'm allergic to all that work! ;)

The store looks great! I like the featured products, and that more products show on the pages now...

Cardygirl said...

Aren't retreats great for getting something done? Your stashbuster looks wonderful...I love your fabrics...a mighty effort!

henny said...

Wow...so may many stripes!! Really appreciate your effort in cutting them.
Wonderful pieces, Jackie :)

Sherri said...

I so love it! Wow...just absolutely gorgeous! Once again, thanks for sharing this inspiration!

Fleurette said...

So worth it, beautiful!

kclily said...

It was definitely worth it. It is gorgeous. I have a question. Do you always press your seams open? Me and another quilter have been having a discussion about this. For smaller pieces I like to press the seams open.

Anonymous said...

It's gorgeous, Jackie! LOVE the colors you pulled from your stash. ; ) It is SEW worth it!!!

Your new website looks good too!

Grazia said...

It's perfect!!!
I love string quilts!!!
I wish you a very sewing strips week end! :)
Grazia

Quiltpiecer said...

Love it! Well worth the time and effort. Thanks for the visit and comment!

Kathleen C said...

I can learn alot about color just by looking at this quilt, jackie. I thought, I can make this quilt! Then I thought about all the piecing you did--amazing. The pattern is such a clever idea, and liberated in style.

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

Wow Jackie this quilt is bursting with life, I love it. Of course you need Kaffe in there, I agree!!! Love it, the facelift looks good too, I love the blue headings xo

pratima said...

I like this version of string pattern! Your fabrics make it so rich and warm... gorgeous quilt!

Arlette said...

So worth it!!! It looks fabulous and the colors and prints you chose look so great together. Your work is always incredible no matter what you make!
Aloha!

Diane said...

definately worth the time sewing. I seem to underestimate time involved too! I think because it flies when you're "having fun".

Gari in AL said...

I love, love love this quilt. It may have to go in my "to do" list......gets longer every day.

Mary P said...

Beautiful work Jackie. It's a fun pattern, for sure. But some of those strips were so tiny! :)

Angie in SoCal said...

I love it! It is so bright and eye catching. I love all the green in it. You did good!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...