Tuesday, April 6, 2010

This is What Started it All

Hello Everyone,

So the other day I did a post about the loot that I picked up at the AQS show and that really sparked some wonderful comments and e-mails. I decided it really deserved some more attention.

As you are all now aware, I have a "secret" collection/stash of authentic African fabrics. I totally and utterly blame my husband for this. You see in 2005 he took a trip to Tanzania to climb Mount Kilimanjaro with my brother and some friends. He was gone for two weeks, and knowing my love for fabric, he purchased the fabrics in the picture below for me!


I don't know what it was about these fabrics, was it that hubby had just been thinking of me, was it the beautiful color and design? I am not sure. But it was love at first site.



You can see on the selvage of this beautiful purple and red print that it is an authentic wax print from Tanzania.


This yellow, black and green print is just beautiful, but I couldn't find any imprint on the selvage. He did bring back about 3 yards of each. Plenty to distribute amongst many quilts or simply to use on a back.

Many of you have asked what I will do with the African fabrics. I have 2 books.



This first book offers tons of inspiration and design possibilities. A great book for reference.



This second book has some great projects to put any ethnic fabric to use. I would say that mostly she has African and Asian fabrics highlighted in this book.

However, the pattern below is the one that I am going to make for my hubby. Hopefully it will be a Christmas present for him... this year! It is called African Coins. The author also had been on Simply Quilts when it was on HGTV. There is still information on there website about her visit. There is also directions to make this quilt as well as an Australian Version! Just click HERE.


I really love the design. The coin quilt design has always been a favorite of mine and this quilt has a little twist to it. The sashing is beautifully designed and the fact that the size of the coin columns vary, just adds more interest.

This post is just a sneak peek into my African fabric stash. I promise you I will show you more in the weeks to come. I really find each and every piece I have unique, and hope that you will too.

My April, 2010 Newsletter is available online for your perusal. Lots of great info! Just click HERE to read.

Until Next Time...

Share/Bookmark

33 comments:

Janet said...

The colours and patterns are amazing. They really look good in the scrappier quilts.

Simone de Klerk said...

I love the quilt you are going to make and how wonderful that your husband bought those fabrics for you! Very special.

Abby and Stephanie said...

Gorgeous. I'm sure you'll almost hate to cut into it. I can see the large print for backing...the quilt could be reversible. That is a great coin quilt. I never thought of varying the width of the columns. Thank you for the link.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the sashing really does make this quilt unique doesn't it! I really like it. I'm sure you will turn your African prints into a fantastic quilt.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Rumi said...

The pattern you chose for hubby's quilt is a beauty! He will be thrilled I'm sure.

Barb said...

I just love your fabrics and books....and the one quilt you picked out to do is awesome!!!

Teresa said...

Don't you just love quilts that the fabrics hold a special meaning for you. I have some fabrics from Kenya. My daughter spent the summer there and had to purchase fabrics to use for skirts. When she got home, she gave me a yard or more of each fabric. There are some very interesting patterns in there.

Pat said...

Fabrics like that need lots of consideration, as you know, so you don't cut up and "lose" the beautiful patterns and designs in them. It looks like you have some great ideas.

Melinda said...

I love the pattern you are going to use for your husband's quilt. I am looking forward to seeing it as it grows.

Thimbleanna said...

Wow! You and hubby really do some fun traveling! His trip sounds so cool -- and how wonderful of you to make a quilt to remember it by!

Nedra said...

Oh, I REALLY like African coins. Perfect choice for your fabrics. I think you need to have a retreat with no interuptions to just work on your husbands quilt.

alobsiger said...

Such special fabrics, Jackie! One local store specializes in African and Japanese fabrics -- pure heaven! That looks like a great pattern to showcase your fabrics. Thanks for the link!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I started that same quilt about 5 years ago after a friend made a beautiful version of it. I felt I was missing some color ranges and never finished it. I'll have to pull it back out and see if I can get reinspired.

wishes, true and kind said...

Oh, Jackie -- it looks like you have found the perfect pattern for your fabulous stash of African fabrics! What a great pattern!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh course you love them, one they are from your hubby and two the colors are so bright and beautiful. The pattern is amazing, as I am sure your quilt will be!!

Heather said...

wonderful choice of pattern . can't wait to see your progress.

Ginger Patches said...

O.k. that does it, I have to go to the African Shop soon!!!! I LOVE that coin quilt! Thanks for sharing the link :)

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Can't wait to see your progress, Jackie!

imquilternity said...

We DO have such similar tastes! I travelled to Tanzania and Kenya in 1980 for a 3-week long photo safari. We camped in the shadows of Kilimanjaro and it was glorious! I, too, brought back many african fabrics, as well as lithographs, carvings, and batiks. It was the trip of a lifetime!

Cathi said...

Those fabrics are gorgeous. I love that pattern -- that added interest of the sashing really makes it outstanding. I can't wait to see more of your African fabric collection. :-)

Lisa @celebrate CREATIVITY said...

Beautiful fabrics! Such vivid colors and a pleasure to browse.

WoolenSails said...

I love that black and yellow print the most.
I will have to keep my eyes open for some unique prints like that. I have been eying the skirts in the thrift stores;)

Debbie

quiltmom anna said...

Hi Jackie,
I have loved African fabrics for a long time but never have owned any.
However I do own both of the books you mentioned and have made the quilt you want to make your husband.
You can find it here:

http://quiltmomsjourney.blogspot.com/2009/04/rocks-and-stars-rock-star.

I have made the coin quilt in star fabrics as well for friends of my husband as a wedding gift. It worked out well too.
I am sure that your husband is going to love your quilt.

If you are interested in seeing some more beautiful wax batiks ( Dutch) you should visit Wanda of Exuberant Color( you can find a link on my blog list). She has written about them in the past week- she has some stunning fabrics.
Happy quilting,
Regards,
Anna

Kim D. said...

I love the colors of your fabrics, red, yellow and green are such happy colors. The books are fantastic as well and I can't wait to see your progress on the quilt.

Caro said...

It takes a lot of consideration to decide the best way to use such special fabrics. I love the pattern you chose.

Caro said...

It takes a lot of consideration to decide the best way to use such special fabrics. I love the pattern you chose.

Karen said...

Very interesting fabric. I love the African Coins pattern.

pratima said...

The pattern you picked for these beautiful fabrics is wonderful, Jackie. The books seem to be chock full of inspiration :)

Victoria said...

Beautiful. I am totally enamored by the fabrics from other countries. Looking forward to seeing more of your African stash!

corry said...

I really love African fabrics. The patterns and colors are so inspirering. Here is a link where you can find lots more African fabrics. http://www.vlisco.com/ it's a Dutch company that designs and produces fabrics for Africa since 1846
I love to see your stash!

SueR said...

The African coins quilt will be perfect for those fabrics! I enjoyed browsing your blog, love the hexagon blocks and the double pinwheel!

patty a. said...

Thanks for the post about the books. I will have to see if I can find them. As you know I have a little stash of African fabrics (Ha Ha!)

Hi! My name is erica. Would you be my friend? said...

That was indeed sweet of your dh to think of you while he was there! That quilt is great...I'm excited to see your stash!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...