Sunday, February 27, 2011

Me On An ATV in Arizona...

Hello Everyone,

Yes, you read that right! However, I never really made it on the ATV. Here is the story...

My son really wanted to go on an ATV tour of AZ. He has an ATV at home (I have never been on it). He googled tours and came up with a place, Arizona ATV Adventure Tours, that is in Florence (right near the maximum security prison).

The tour operators were very reputable, trained, certified and very safety conscious. So I said, "What the heck, this will be a piece of cake!"


We arrived promptly at 7:45 am and got all suited up with our safety gear. Note that the bandana and goggles are to protect you from all the dust that kicks up when you are riding in the desert. I chose the red ATV, had to have color. You know my love of color doesn't just end with quilts.

Don't I look just smashing? Wait, don't answer that...

They proceeded to go through the entire safety part of the tour with all of us and how to operate the ATV. I was getting nervous at this point. After hearing some of the things on the checklist. Then we hopped onto the ATV and were instructed to ... Start your engines!! I did and felt sick to my stomach. Keep in mind that we were going to be riding for 40 miles!

This is when I graciously copped out. Yes, graciously.

My son exclaimed in his loudest voice possible... "You have got to be kidding!" Nope not kidding. They assured me that my son would have a great time, and off they went. I felt horribly guilty.

Here are some beautiful photos, courtesy of my son.


Some beautiful mountains and lots of cactus.


My wonderful son, looking a little dusty, but having fun.


More beautiful vistas.


Some canyon views.

They had a great time. When they returned, my son said that I would have hated it!! (Got over the guilt) There were steep inclines and declines, and really rough terrain. One girl took out 4 cactus and then had to ride with the trainer. I think I made the right decision.

What did I do for the 3.5 hours they were gone? I hung out with two wonderful mothers, did a walking tour of Florence, got some fudge, and tea. But really no photos as my son had the camera. I had only my iPhone. Although, there is one that I posted on Facebook of a sign in town. You have to see this photo. Just click here to take a peek.

That was my day, it turned out well and we had fun...


Until Next Time...

Share/Bookmark

15 comments:

Maria said...

My DH would have loved to have joined you on that trip. Great scenery.

Barb said...

Smart move and so glad you had a fun time anyways.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I don't blame you for backing out, I wouldn't have wanted to do it either. I have been on one for a very short ride with one of my nephews - he was driving and I was in back of him - it was a very short ride but I knew it would not be something for me from that. My sister in law on the other hand got very into them for a while but ended up with an accident one time and flew off of hers after it went over a hill, it almost landed on top of her - she was so lucky and ended up with a broken wrist only - it could have been much worse.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

YankeeQuilter said...

I'd stick with the horses! The tea sounds great too...

deborah said...

It sounds as if you and your son both had a great day! I would have been terrified to do the ATV tour!

Donna said...

Great decision - both of you! Sounds like you both had a nice day doing what suited each of you best. Glad you are enjoying this trip.

Katie M. said...

I had to laugh at your post. I am a 57 year old mother of 3, grandmother to 8. I live in AZ (just about an hour south of Florence) and I am an avid ATV rider. I love the challenge of climbing over boulders on my ATV and getting to heights to see our beautiful canyons. If someone told me I'd have to give up my sewing machine or my ATV, it would be a very hard decision to make. I'd probaby give up the sewing machine as I could still use a simple needle and thread :-)

annemariesquilt said...

Yohoo...
Looks great but I do not know if I ever would deer to to this myself ;-)

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

oh Jackie! Wish I was along, I would have taken you! I prefer the atv's to the horses.... ;-) Horses = sore butt... not thanks! I say tea and fudge, doesn't sound so bad either! hugs!

Carol from Panama said...

I think I would have stayed with you Jackie - tea and fudge sounds more my speed.

WoolenSails said...

You sure are having fun and new experiences, what a wonderful place to experience it all.

Debbie

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

I would have made the same choice. =)

Rumi said...

I would have bowed out too! We went on a jeep ride when we were in Sedona and the terrain was so rough I thought my fillings would fall out! Also really, really wished I had worn a sports bra instead of a regular one LOL!

Thimbleanna said...

Awwww, sorry you missed the tour. I love ATV riding -- although I probably wouldn't have loved the rough terrain. Oh well, at least you were in warm weather country!

Unknown said...

Awww, I totally understand where you are coming from. I was also once afraid of riding an ATV, but based on my experience, when you’re moving and enjoying the scenery, you’ll eventually outgrow that fear in you. I would urge you to try it the next time around. Once you’ve ridden an ATV, you’ll never be the same. :)

Keturah Gaulin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...